Thanks to the cultural events and historical sights, the town of Oprtalj in Croatia is a popular excursion destination for lovers of folklore and tradition of the Istrian peninsula.
Oprtalj is a historical fort town protected with massive town walls, in the centre of which a bell tower is located, surrounded by picturesque houses built in the style of the traditional Istrian architecture. Several churches near the town maintained their old significance and are filled with art works that are still preserved, despite the turbulent history. A walk on the stone streets and squares of the town leads to many sightseeing locations. Hiking or walking in the surrounding areas provides an unforgettable view of the landscapes of the untouched nature, while hunting tourism was developed for guests wanting adventure and a more active holiday. It is best to end the excursion to Oprtalj with a visit to one of the family agricultural tourisms and taverns. The gastronomic offer consists of home-made specialties prepared according to traditional recipes, and the autochthonous aromatic truffle mushroom is in the centre of the story. An excursion to Oprtalj is a perfect way to get to know Green Istria, hidden from the hustle and filled with excitements, always hospitable and open.
What does Oprtalj in Croatia offer?
- Parish church of St. George (Sv. Juraj) that dates to the ancient 1517 is filled with Glagolitic inscriptions
- Tall bell tower next to the church of St. George (Sv. Juraj) differs from all others because it is not marked with a pyramidal roof, but reminds of a medieval tower
- Two smaller churches painted with frescos are exceptionally preserved despite their age
- Wine roads collect wine and home-made products producers
- Alpe Adria folk fest gathers representatives of several countries who proudly demonstrate folklore dances or their areas
- Black truffle fair
- Antiques fair offers a possibility to view antiques and art works of exhibitors from Croatia and the surrounding countries
How's the weather in Oprtalj
°C - 5°C
3°C - 6°C
1°C - 6°C
3°C - 7°C
1°C - 4°C
1°C - 6°C
2°C - 7°C